Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Lake View Cemetery Part 5 (9/13/2017)

Wednesday, September 13, 2017
Another Cleveland history lesson in Lake View Cemetery.
Garden Crypts Building 2
Crypt of Middleton Hugher Lambright, Sr (1865-1959)
Middleton H Lambright, Sr was a physician in Kansas City, MO, who brought his family to Cleveland in 1923 so that his children could avoid a segregated education. He began practicing medicine in 1898 and rose to chief of the Obstetrical Division of Kansas City General Hospital No. 2, the only African-American in the department at the time and the first in the United States to head a hospital department. Dr. Lambright was one of the founders in 1939 of Forest City Hospital, Cleveland's first interracial hospital. His son, Middleton H Lambright, Jr also became a physician and was the first black doctor to obtain full hospital privileges in Cleveland.
Newton D Baker (1871-1937)
Newton Diehl Baker, a  lawyer, served as Mayor of Cleveland from 1912-1915. President Woodrow Wilson appointed Baker as the United States Secretary of War from 1916-1921, presiding over the United States Army during World War I. Baker was also a candidate for the presidential nomination at the 1932 Democratic National Convention (the chosen candidate was Franklin D Roosevelt).
Henry I Emerson (1871-1953)
Henry Ivory Emerson moved to Cleveland from Maine in 1892 and practiced law. He was a member of the Cleveland City Council in 1902-1903. Emerson served three terms in the United States House of Representatives, from 1915-1921.
Hayes family monument
Max S Hayes (1866-1945)
Maximilian Sebastian Hayes was apprenticed in printing. In 1884 he was initiated as a journeyman in the Typographical Workers Union Number 53, where he served the local as an organizer, president, and delegate. Hayes helped launch the Cleveland Citizen in 1891, editing it for almost 50 years. In 1898 he was a delegate to the American Federation of Labor/AFL national convention, beginning his battle with Sam Gompers over demands for union democracy, solidarity, and independent political action by labor. Hayes campaigned as a Socialist candidate for Congress in 1900, for Ohio secretary of state in 1902, and as Farmer-Labor party candidate for vice-president in 1920.
Harry L Davis (1878-1950)
Harry Lyman Davis was a solicitor for the Cleveland Telephone Co. and later founded the Davis Rate Adjustment Company, selling telephone securities, and the Harry L Davis Company, selling insurance. A Republican, Davis was elected city treasurer in 1909. He was Mayor of Cleveland from 1915-1919, establishing the Mayor's War Advisory Committee in 1917. Davis served one term as Governor of Ohio, and was again Mayor of Cleveland from 1934-1935.
David Pope (1921-1999)
Dave Pope was a Major League Baseball player (outfielder) who played for the Cleveland Indians from 1952 for four seasons, after starting out in the Negro Baseball League. He then played for the Baltimore Orioles 1955-1956 until traded back to Cleveland. In 1957 he went to the San Diego Padres in the Pacific Coast League for three seasons. Then to Toronto of the International League, Houston in the American League, and back to Toronto before retiring. Following his baseball career, he worked as a counselor, director of recreation in Cleveland and as an amateur baseball coach.
Alexander E Brown (1852-1911)
Alexander Ephraim Brown was a civil engineer who worked at the Massillon Ohio Bridge Company where he  devised a method of building bridge columns from scrap iron and steel. Returning to Cleveland he worked as a mechanical engineer, experimenting with ways to facilitate the unloading of bulk cargo on the Great Lakes by partially automating the process. Brown designed the Brown Hoist, a cantilevered crane, rigged with wire cable to convey an automatic clam-shell bucket to and from the ship's hold, removing the cargo. His hoist, first set up on the Erie docks, reduced lake transportation costs and greatly shortened the turn-around time of the vessels. In 1880 he organized the Brown Hoisting & Conveying Machinery Company with his father.
Arter family monument
Kingsley Arter Taft (1903-1970)
Kingsley A Taft was a Justice on the Ohio Supreme Court between 1948-1962, and Chief Justice, between 1963-1970. Before then he was elected to the Ohio House of Representatives, serving from 1933-1934. Taft served on the Shaker Height School Board from 1940-1942, serving as president in 1942. In 1946 Taft was elected to the U.S. Senate to fill the unexpired term of Harold Burton.
Rose family monument
Benjamin Rose (1828-1908)
Benjamin Rose came with his parents to the United States at age 10 and settled in Cincinnati. At 12 he got his first job as a laborer in a Cincinnati slaughterhouse. The following year he moved to Cleveland and went into the provision business with his brother. After a partnership with Chauncey Prentiss, Rose organized the Cleveland Provision Company in 1877, which became the largest meat packer in Cleveland. Its success was based largely on Rose's innovative practices, centering on his use of refrigeration in his packinghouse and in rail and ocean shipping of his products. In 1908, Rose used some of his capital to build the Rose Bldg. at E. 9th St. and Prospect Ave., the largest office building in Ohio at that time. Upon his death, he bequeathed his fortune to charity, making possible the establishment of the Benjamin Rose Institute which provides relief and assistance to the needy aged and to curable crippled children.
Ranney family monument
Rufus P Ranney (1813-1891)
Rufus Putnam Ranney was a lawyer who was elected to the second Ohio State Constitutional Convention in 1850. He served a term on the Ohio Supreme Court and in 1857 he was United States Attorney for the Northern District of Ohio, followed by another stint in the Supreme Court. Ranney was selected the first president of the Ohio State Bar Association, which was organized in 1881.
Devereux family monument
Henry Kelsey Devereux (1860-1932)
"Harry" Devereux was actually born in 1859. At 16, he attended Brooks Military Academy and was chosen as the drummer boy model in Archibald Willard's painting The Spirit of '76. After graduating from Yale in 1883, Devereux worked for the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati & Indianapolis Railroad, and later managed the Chicago-Cleveland Roofing Company. Interested in harness racing, he invested in horses and drove them in amateur races at the Glenville Race Track. In 1895 he organized the Gentlemen's Driving Club of Cleveland, which competed with other clubs through the League of American Driving Clubs, which Devereux organized in 1901, professionalizing the sport and focusing attention on Cleveland. When the Mayor of Glenville declared betting illegal, the race track closed. Devereux and others financed the building of Randall Park Race Track and was its first president. The Randall Park Race Track (harness racing) is now the site of the defunct Randall PaArk Mall.
William Collins (1818-1978)
William Collins was a United States Senator from New York from 1847-1849. In 1853 he moved to Cleveland to practice law. He served as a director of the Lake Shore Railroad and East Cleveland Railroad.
James Barnett (1821-1911)
James Barnett served during the Civil War as Colonel of the 1st Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery, and as Chief of Artillery for the Military Department of the Cumberland. He was brevetted Brigadier General, US Volunteers on March 13, 1865 for "gallant and meritorious services".
Foran family monument
Martin A Foran (1844-1921)
Martin Ambrose Foran was a cooper and educator from Pennsylvania who moved to Cleveland in 1868. He was president of the Coopers International Union, and editor of the Coopers Journal from 1870 to 1874. Foran served as member of the State Constitutional Convention of Ohio in 1873, then went to study law. He was elected to three terms in the United States House of Representatives from 1883-1889.
A deer in the cemetery
Haskell family monument
Coburn Haskell (1868-1922)
Coburn Haskell came to Cleveland from Boston in 1892 as the result of a friendship between his father and Marcus A Hanna. In Cleveland, Haskell became closely associated with the Hanna family, working for the M A Hanna Company. An avid golfer, Haskell patented a ball with a rubber-wound core in 1899. In 1901, he retired from M A Hanna to organize the Haskell Golf Ball Company. The "Haskell golf ball" replaced the universally used gutta-percha ball and revolutionized the manufacture of golf balls. Because of its greater distance, the Haskell ball reduced scores and helped considerably to increase the popularity of golf.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Lake View Cemetery Part 4 (9/10/2017)

Sunday, September 10, 2017
Another walk in Lake View Cemetery, looking for graves of notable persons. We will stay in Sections 10 and 1!
Markers at the corner of family plots
The Castle family monument
William B Castle (1814-1872)
William Bainbridge Castle was a Mayor of Consolidated Cleveland in 1855-1856. Castle and his family moved to the Cleveland area when he was 13 years old. As a young man, he established the first lumber yard in Cleveland along with his father, Jonathan Castle, and Charles Giddings. In 1843, he left the firm and joined with Cuyahoga Steam Furnace Company as its secretary. In 1853, he was elected mayor of Ohio City, which consolidated with Cleveland during his term in office.
Samuel Starkweather (1799-1876)
Samuel Starkweather was born in Pawtucket, RI and went to Brown University. He later studied law and became a judge before moving to Cleveland around 1826. He twice served as Mayor, in 1844-1845 and 1857-1858. Starkweather is credited for establishing the first high school in Cleveland, and developing the Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati Railroad.
Parsons family monument
Richard C Parsons (1826-1899)
Richard Chappel Parsons was a lawyer who practiced in Cleveland. He served on the Cleveland City Council, and also as a member of the Ohio State House of Representatives. In 1873 Parsons elected to the United States House of Representative from Ohio's 20th District, for one term.
We were looking for John Hay, but
found his wife instead, at the Stone Monument
Clara Louise Stone (1848-1914)
We had actually found John Hay's monument on May 19, 2013.
Gordon family monument
William J Gordon (1818-1892) was a wholesale grocer and iron-ore dealer. In 1865, Gordon began purchasing land east of Cleveland and laying out a 122-acre park which, at his death, was deeded to Cleveland provided it be forever maintained and kept open to the public under the name of Gordon Park. We explored Gordon Park on 5/28/2016.
Frederick Harris Goff (1858-1923) (KSS)
Frederick Harris Goff was a lawyer and Cleveland civic leader. He worked primarily in corporate law, specializing in reorganization and financial problems. In 1903 he was mayor of Glenville and endorsed Glenville's annexation to Cleveland. During World War I, he served on the Mayor's Advisory War Committee and was appointed by President Woodrow Wilson as vice-chairman of the War Finance Corporations capital issues committee.
Looking down a hill at a cemetery road
Rouse family monument (KSS)
Rebecca Rouse (1797-1887)
Rebecca Cromwell Rouse moved to Cleveland with her husband, Benjamin Rouse, in 1830. She dedicated her life to serving children and families, starting with the Ladies Tract Society. She was an original member of the First Baptist Society, and in 1842, Rouse founded and became president of the Martha Washington & Dorcas Society, one of the first benevolent organizations in the city, from which originated the Protestant Orphan Asylum. She also helped organize the Cleveland Ladies Temperance Union in 1850. When President Abraham Lincoln called for troops, Rouse organized the Ladies Aid Society, later known as the Soldiers Aid Society. The figure of Rouse can be seen on one of the bronze panels of the Soldiers and Sailors Monument  in Public Square.
A beer party at a grave of perhaps a departed Browns fan;
today is the season opener for the NFL Cleveland Browns
Beach Mausoleum
Clifton Bailey Beach (1845-1902) was a lawyer who served as deputy collector of customs in Cleveland. He served two terms in the United States House of Representatives, from Ohio's 20th District, from 1895-1899.
George C Julier monument, with a cute
little cherub and lamb on the plot
George C Julier (1836-1896) was proprietor of the Excelsior Bread, Cake and Cracker Works from 1880 until his death.
Sherwin family monument
Henry Alden Sherwin (1842-1916)
Henry Alden Sherwin went to school in Vermont until age 15, then went to live with his uncle in Cleveland. He started working at Freeman & Kellogg Company, a dry goods store, first as a clerk, then bookkeeper. When he saved enough money, he became a partner at Truman Dunham and Company, a wholesale paint business. Since his partners were more interested in producing linseed oil, Sherwin dissolved the partnership, and with two other men (one being Edward Williams) started the Sherwin Williams Company, known for the manufacturing and sale of paints, as well as other coatings and related products.
Colonel Edgar Sower (1832-1906)
Edgar Carl Sowers was a Civil War Union Brevet Brigadier General. In 1862, he enlisted in the Ohio Volunteer Infantry and was commissioned Captain. A year later he was promoted to Major and took part in actions at Kingston, Blain's Cross Roads and Mossy Creek. In 1864, Sowers was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel, and was at the Battle of Resaca and the Atlanta Campaign. He distinguished himself in the Nashville Campaign at the Battle of Franklin and Battle of Nashville and was promoted to Colonel in command of the 118th Ohio Infantry during the Campaign of the Carolinas. Sowers was brevetted Brigadier of U.S. Volunteers in March 1865 and was present at the surrender of Confederate General Johnston's Army at Bennett's House, Raleigh, NC on April 26, 1865. He and the Regiment mustered out in June 1865.
Cozad family monument
The family patriarch, Jacques Cozad fled France due to Huguenot persecution and sailed in 1662 to Brooklyn, NY where his son, Anthony, and grandson, Jacob, were born in 1673 and 1701. Two more generations were born in NJ: Samuel in 1725 and Samuel, Jr in 1756. Samuel, Jr had a son, Andrew, in PA in 1801, and they moved to Cleveland. Andrew married Sally Simmons (1805-1884), and they had nine children. He was an abolitionist who built a house in University Circle for his son Justus. Now known as the Cozad-Bates House, it has an Italianate style façade added by Justus in 1872. It was said to be a station on the Underground Railroad. Andrew Cozad died in 1873.
Brynne was stung by a bee, so we headed home!

Saturday, September 9, 2017

Lake View Cemetery Part 3 maybe? (9/9/2017)

Saturday, September 9, 2017
We haven't been to Lake View Cemetery in a while, so today we went in search of Raymond Chapman.
Henry Chisholm (1822-1881)
Henry Chisholm is known as the Father of the Cleveland steel trade. Born in Scotland, he came to Cleveland at age 20 and built docks and piers along Lake Erie. His technical genius and handling of men allowed him to invest in a rolling steel mill, where he personally managed operations and finances. To preserve cash, he he offered company-owned housing and company-store benefits to the workers, whom he knew and regarded as important to the company's success. When he died, his workers contributed towards the monument for their "friend." Labor relations changed after his death, with the workers going on strike the following year.
Shaw High School memorials to alumni who
lost their lives in the two world wars;
seems like a very long list for one high school
A grave marker with little bronze birds on it
It was only in 2016 that Alan Freed's final
resting place was marked with this "jukebox"
Alan Freed, who popularized "rock and roll," died
in California and was interred in New York;
in 2002 his ashes were brought to be displayed
in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but in
2014 the Hall asked his family to remove the ashes
There seem to be more mementoes left these days,
like the writing instruments at Harvey Pekar's grave
Even Eliot Ness has a pile of small stones
on his grave marker
And look at the mementoes on the this headstone!
Raymond "Ray" Johnson Chapman (1891-1920) was a shortstop who
played for the Cleveland Indians until hit in the head with a pitch;
he is the only Major League Baseball player to have died
from an injury received during a game
Daffodil Hall
Castanea dentata/American chestnut with fist-sized burrs
Dramatic family marker with an etching of Dante and Beatrice
at the River of Forgetfulness and Oblivion
(1985, by John Sokol)
Mausoleum for Liberty Elmer Holden (1833-1913)
Liberty Holden was an owner of the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper and a real estate investor. He moved to Cleveland in 1862 to study law and invest in real estate. In 1873 he began investing in mining properties, iron in the Lake Superior region, and silver in Utah, and became a leading spokesman in Washington for western silver interests. Soon after Holden purchased the Plain Dealer in 1885, he launched the morning Plain Dealer after buying out the Herald in association with the Leader. Holden also owned the Hollenden Hotel; and was largely responsible, as president of the building committee, for the construction of the Cleveland Museum of Art and its adjacent setting of Wade and Rockefeller Parks.
A Strong marker for a Strong family
I'm sure this marker has meaning for the Kelley family
Cornus mas/Cornelian Cherry Dogwood
The Burkes are ready! The open book has quotes from
Pascal, Dante, and St Exupéry
"Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point/The heart has its reasons of which reason knows not." (Pascal, from Pensées/Thoughts)
"L'amore che move il sole e l'altre stelle/The love that moves the sun and stars." (Dante, from the Divina Commedia/Divine Comedy)
"On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux/One can see only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes." (St Exupéry, from Le Petit Prince/The Little Prince)
A place for leaving mementoes
Because it is not easy leaving mementoes on a crypt
September 11, 2001 Memorial with a piece of steel
from the Twin Towers of New York City
President James A Garfield Memorial
A solar-powered rocking lady bug